Sunday, March 12, 2023

LOST on Pepper Park Beach

DIRECTIONS DID NOT HELP MUCH

 Lost is my favorite TV drama show of all time

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=lost+tv+series

and my fav reality show is Survivor

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=survivor+44

I might possibly have been inhabiting both series on my odyssey on Pepper Park Beach, North Hutchinson's Island Fl on Friday March 3, 2023.

here is the link most of what they talk about was unseen or invisible to me on that day 

https://www.stlucieco.gov/things-to-do/recreation/beaches/pepper-park-beachside

 and will preface my story by telling you that I come from a beach addicted family. Both sides. My parents even had a verb used for our beach visits. Beaching, My dad would say"lets go beaching". Rockaway, New Jersey, and Florida were our places.. My father would walk the beach until he disappeared on the horizon. My mother and I did the water,

so what happened to me is sort of incomprehensible

Friday March 3, 2023


We found an online blurb that there was a beach nearby which offered a plethora of shells, driftwood and other beachy collectibles...Lets try it.  There were two of us setting out for this adventure. The host and friend's hub were staying home porching and TVing.GPS helped us get there... we landed, plopped our spare necessities down... the beach was thin... high tide obviously reached the top of the grass... the water and waves smashingly loud and mesmerizing, the water colors of layers of blues and greens and white foam

and I set out walking solo. My friend and I do that., I took my phone and a zip lock bag expecting to stuff it with shells.from this beach of shells,  After about 10 minutes I realized this beach had no shells.
NO WORTHY SHELLS

It had unusual rocks, I switched my mission to rocks. I had set my goal to walk to the white house at the end of the island, except it kept getting farther away, Into the second hour I knew I was in trouble The people I had passed on the way were returning. I turned around into a ferocious wind, so strong that I could barely go forward, with a haft mile more
A GORGEOUS BEACH WITH NO SHELLS
I was 
dehydrated 
Burnt
sand 
in my teeth
Ears (hearing aids)
hair
Feet cramps and calf twitches that made me sway and look unsteady
My iPhone had gotten wet from a tsunami that attacked me and was inoperable for a bit 
I had applied sunscreen but the wind and sand blew it off  and my white sweater billowed up around my head so as to expose all unsunscreened parts to the elements. It kinda looked like a sail.
I was carrying the rock bag which was now quite heavy

I pulled muscles in both arms switching the rock bag back and forth 
My beach mate's phone was in security lock down and her Apple Watch had no juice 
Could not ask her for help 
The entire walk was all white condos for 8 miles 
I could not distinguish one from another
No landmark stood out 
Why would they? We had never been here... those who I had passed going had left... the wind was that punishing...even the veteran beach goers had given up
it was me and the gulls
yep I stopped .and talked to them
MY FRIENDS


Finally I reached the other end of the island  and knew I had to get to the street and ask for help
I must have walked by my friend
the belongings we had were flat, borrowed, unfamiliar... so easily missed, My friend was also walking, so no upright human to spot.

I sat down to rest and got bitten by sand fleas 

I reached the jetty at the island’s other end and knew we had not come this far 

THINKING OF MY MAMA
 
we had not crossed this inlet. or seen fishing folks

I texted my friend for help ...my phone had dried out
with the last juice of her phone she answered with landmarks. Oh and I did have a mobile charger in my bag she could have used but I was too delirious to recall that
She gave me the building landmarks 

I wobbled along with excruciating leg and feet cramps
I was barefoot and wearing a light white sweater which kept blowing up in my face due to the fierce wind
I still recorded my travels with photos (see above)
in case I expired on the beach there would be a record of my travails
 
And in those conditions 
now 3 and 1/2  hours of walking 
barefoot
Wind battered 
cut up by sharp glassy sand
the wind was so strong I could not move forward 
had to stop and walk sideways 
no ID
no money 
but I had my rocks

Near what I thought was the end 
I thought of others and their suffering
Kiev
And 
the Holocaust 
(yes, I went there)
and Jeff Probst and his famous Survivor line "call the medics" 
and my 15 1/2 old dog Liam waiting at home
LIAM AT HOME   
 these thoughts are what kept me going the last 2 miles which I did not know were the last two miles

Now in the fourth hour
I stumbled
got up 
refused to give up my rocks
My cramped feet like curled claws
legs muscles throbbing and spastic 
 muscles in both arms were seizing and screaming

THEN
 
I saw my white shirted friend waving by the shore a short distance away
I was never so glad to see someone 
Ever
ironic we both were wearing white, the universal symbol of surrender

Turns out I had walked nearly 8 miles and attained almost 19000 steps according to my Fitbit
 
back at home, Jim S, the host, had attained 1751 by walking to the porch and back
 
if you look at the stats it stands out that my sleep the night before almost equaled my walk, 
I slept 4 hours 51 minutes and walked almost the same
MY FITBIT TELLS THE STORY
 


Oh and the rocks  are coral  and quite worthy of being collected 
ROCKS ARE CORAL

and I know all the things I did wrong but feel free to weigh in...I tell stories for participation and feedback and  growth

MY BEACH COLLECTIONS FROM THE ENTIRE TRIP, FEW SHELLS FROM THIS OUTING THOUGH
 
 and being it was near St Patrick's day, this iconic Irish blessing swirled in my head, the first two lines

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back. 

May the sun shine warm upon your face; 

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, 

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.


now that I am back in NY I have to say it was worth it. This Irish/Scottish gal got a story and got some coral, and met some gulls and lived to tell...
 
 
woof, woof



6 comments:

  1. As someone who's directionally impaired, I can certainly relate, and Paul was waiting at home too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thank you for reading and relating to my experience

      Delete
  2. Such an unbelievable, riveting story Carol…..we will have to hear it live at our next lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for sure!
      I have been lost driving places but never on foot on a beach

      Delete
  3. Wow what an adventure Liam !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam is pleased you read about it...Thank you!

      Delete