Thursday, July 19, 2012

Turkey Necktie Training

I PERFORM FOR TURKEY
No, not training a turkey, and not about Thanksgiving.  No "Fifty Shades of Grey" necktie involved.  It is Liam and my attempts to train him to sit/stay and bark appropriately. Paul is puzzled that I have been unable to teach Liam to do the basics. He cites my management background and extra time in retirement as reasons why I should have been able to do it. Why does a loving licking blogging Liam need training?
I AM A GOOD DOG
He barks (too much) and greets by jumping. These are the two behaviors that we need to work
on.  I have been reinvigorated to try training by the just completed series "Dogs in the City" with Justin Silver see link
http://www.cbs.com/shows/dogs_in_the_city/
and Cesar Millan's final group of "Dog Whisperer" shows
http://www.cesarsway.com/dogwhisperer/about-the-show/
I have found techniques to try from both
.
Turkey-
that is from Justin. He rewards with turkey. We always have deli lite turkey in the fridge. I take out a piece (only 10 calories) break it into pieces, say sit/stay with a hand command.  Liam does as many sit/stays as I have turkey pieces. Paul points out that sometimes I say sit and other times I say stay. I counter that it is the hand motion that does it. However, most times when I do the hand motion without the turkey, Liam just stares at me and then heads to the fridge. A serendipitous by-product of turkey training is that Liam goes into some sort of turkey coma.
TURKEY COMA
That takes care of sitting/staying and barking.

Necktie-
NECKTIE STOPS BARKING FOR A BIT


This idea is from Cesar's episode last week with a barking British dog. This terrier mix has barked for 6 years, nonstop. Cesar even prayed over this one. Really. I have never seen him do that. He rubbed some scented oil on his hands and tied a dishtowel around the dog's neck. Both techniques were aimed at calming the dog. They worked. No barking. I try a variation- I spray Avon "Skin So Soft" bath oil on my hands and tie a necktie (scarf) around Liam's neck.
LIKE THAT OIL SMELL
Works for about a half hour.

Then come the violent, end of world storms of Wednesday, July 18, 2012.
BRING ON THAT THUNDER
On goes the thundershirt. Barking ceases. Liam does a lay not a sit/stay
THUNDERSHIRT DURING THUNDERSTORM
.Hear the thunder that Liam heard in this You Tube
What if Liam wears the thundershirt and bath oil soaked necktie during turkey training and I play recorded thunder sounds?

Maybe I have to pray.
READY FOR THE NEXT STORM
Woof, Woof


3 comments:

  1. I had two cats, and one of them loved turkey more than any of her cat food. It was the only "people" food she would eat out of my hand. Of course she was a cat so training was out of the question.

    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy,

      Turkey is the most beloved human food in the pet world. Puppy Liam snatched a turkey sandwich from my hand and hid behind the couch to eat it. it was gone in under a minute. That was my introduction to turkey love. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. And the training comment so cute.

      Delete